There are a number of things you should consider when you are choosing a life coach.
Choosing to work with a life coach is an important decision and you should approach this selection with some care.
The first and most important thing you need to do is ensure that the person is credible and that you personally feel comfortable and inspired by them. You need to be at your ease working with a life coach as this is a context where you will be sharing personal feelings, experiences and thoughts, some of these may be intensely personal and emotional. Do you trust them and feel confident with them?
Are they insured?
Do they have their own premises and are totally professional? Do you really want to be working with someone who works out of their back room?
Qualifications to look for:
- Coaching Diploma and Certification
- NLP Diploma, NLP Practitioner, NLP Practitioner, NLP Trainer (In that order!)
- Registration with a National or International Coaching Organisation
- A Degree – one that is relevant is best
- Higher Degrees
How long have they been helping people make changes in their lives and or careers.
How much they cost
Just think where you take your car to be serviced – would you really be happy with a back street garage or a ‘mate’ tinkering with your prize wheels? Surely you wouldn’t want cut rate work doing on your life?
1. You’ll get just what you pay for with life coaching – if you pay cheap you’ll get cheap.
2. Don’t be fooled or ripped off either – you shouldn’t expect to commit to more sessions that you think is right neither should you be bullied into paying a ridicules price.
3. If they do not offer a free consultation – walk away. You need to be utterly convinced that they are the right person to work with if they are not – walk away!
4. Dont stand for rubbish if anyone selling you a service like life coaching or career change coaching is taking your money and not delivering then walk away!
5. Be prepared to invest – once you have found the right life coach or career change coach you are only investing in yourself – make it worthwhile!
Andy Lee Career Change and Life Coaching